NEWS

Government in Imo says IPOB militants didn’t attack when citizens stayed home

Despite rumors to the contrary, the Imo State Government did not launch an attack on the state Secretariat on Port-Harcourt Road in Owerri on Wednesday morning.

According to a statement sent by Governor Hope Uzodimma’s Chief Press Secretary Oguwike Nwachukwu, no such event involving unidentified gunmen occurred.

The secretariat had been the target of rumors disseminated on social media, claiming that armed individuals, believed to be members of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), had stormed the building and opened fire, sending employees fleeing for cover.

What transpired was that police were following a suspect to the secretariat so that they might make an arrest in connection with a criminal allegation.

The cops “fired warning shots” in an attempt to make an arrest, he added.

There was no evidence that the incident was caused by unknown gunmen, so the state authorities asked residents to disregard any rumors to the contrary.

As an added measure, he said, “Government also reassures Imo residents of her willingness to do everything constitutionally possible to protect their lives and property, both at home and in the workplace.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Sorry You need to turn off your adblocker to browse on this blog please